I’m In Southwest Florida. Is DIY Pest Control a Good Idea?
Your home is supposed to be a safe place where you and your family can feel comfortable. When pests like ants, cockroaches, or rodents move in, you lose that sense of security and safety. Fighting back against pests like these can be a tough job, but there are plenty of pest control products on the market. Many of these products promise to kill on contact and some even claim to keep pests from coming back for extended periods. A relatively low cost and easy application make DIY pest control seem like a good idea.
Common Household Pests in Southwest Florida
Southwest Florida’s unique climate makes it a wonderful place to live year-round. Warm Gulf breezes, abundant sunshine, and high humidity also make the perfect habitat for insects and other pests. In fact, Florida is home to a huge number of bugs and other critters you don’t want inside. Just a few of the pests to look out for include:
- Roaches — These nasty bugs are not only unnerving, but they also spread viruses and bacteria as they feed and defecate. They’re found in dark, moist areas like kitchen cabinets where there is plenty of food and water.
- Bed Bugs — Tiny brown specks on your sheets and itchy red welts on your legs? Chances are you have a bed bug infestation. These bloodsuckers are all but impossible to eliminate without professional help.
- Silverfish — Although not harmful to human health, silverfish need a high protein diet. They’ll eat books, clothing, stored food, and anything they can get a hold of, causing substantial damage if they’re not caught and stopped.
- Fleas and Ticks — Your furry family members are the most susceptible to flea and tick bites. These tiny insects not only cause itching and irritation but they’re also responsible for passing diseases to pets. Once fleas and ticks invade your home, they’re able to breed and multiply all year.
- Spiders — Spiders love the dark, out-of-the-way places in your home that you seldom open. There are some dangerous spiders in Florida such as the Brown Recluse and Black Widow that you want to stay away from altogether.
- Ants — There are a number of ant species in Southwest Florida including carpenter ants, Argentine ants, and the dreaded fire ant. An infestation of these ants can make life tough. Carpenter ants destroy wood, Argentine ants raise aphids that eat plants, and fire ants are ferocious, attacking any invader.
- Mosquitoes — Few things are as annoying as mosquitoes buzzing around you as you try to enjoy some time outdoors. They’re attracted to your breath, but they’re really looking for a blood meal. Unfortunately, mosquitoes can pass on diseases like the West Nile virus.
- Rodents — Their beady little eyes, twitchy noses, and long slender tails make even the strongest of people jump when they see rats and mice. Besides their appearance, rodents are also carriers of diseases and bacteria that can make people and pets sick.
What You Need to Know Before You Attempt DIY Pest Control
Visit any big box home improvement store or major retailer, and you’ll find a large selection of sprays, powders, foggers, traps, and other products aimed at eliminating common household pests. But, are these do-it-yourself pest control products safe and effective? Before you invest in any of these so-called remedies or attempt any DIY pest control, consider the following:
It’s Hard to Find the Right Treatment
Different types of pest infestations require unique pest control products to be applied at a specific volume. If you get it wrong, you may use too much or too little of the product. Too much can be harmful to you and your family. Too little and your pests aren’t treated. A professional pest control technician knows exactly which product to use and how much to apply to get maximum benefit.
Surface Products Aren’t Effective
Despite the fact that retailers’ shelves are lined with products intended to be sprayed or spread on countertops and other surfaces, they’re not worth buying. No matter how much product you use, the pests simply may not walk over the surface and pick it up, or, if they do, it simply isn’t enough to stop them. In reality, you’re just wasting time and money on these DIY pest control products.
Bug Bombs Are Popular But Worthless
Many people use bug bombs to get control of their pest problems thinking that the bombs must be very effective. The problem is, a bug bomb will likely send pests running to other areas of your home rather than killing them. The only thing a bug bomb really does is drive you and your family out of your home for several hours before you have to return to clean up the residual mess.
On-Contact Pest Killers Are a Temporary Solution
The most effective DIY pest control products are actually those that kill on contact. They’re generally quite good at taking out insects that come in direct contact with the product. All you have to do is chase the critters down and spray. The problem is that you can’t chase bugs all day, and any pests that aren’t directly affected by the treatment will simply regroup and carry on.
Why You Need a Pest Control Expert
When it comes to pest control, you can certainly go the DIY route and hope for the best. But, in Southwest Florida, the pests can be relentless and the last thing you want is to have a long, drawn-out battle with some insect. If you want to rid your home of pests quickly and keep them out, you need the help of a professional exterminator like Coastal Lawn and Pest.
Our Florida Household Pest Extermination Services
If pests are making it hard for you to enjoy your home, forget about those ineffective, expensive, hard-to-use, and potentially dangerous products found at the store. We’re highly trained, licensed pest control experts who understand the importance of using safe, effective treatments. Our Indoor Pest Control Services include:
- Free Indoor Pest Control Inspections
- Customized Pest Treatment Plans
- Environmentally Friendly Pest Control Products
- Targeted Pest Control Treatments
- Follow-Up Pest Control Maintenance Treatments
Schedule a Pest Control Inspection Today
Don’t let pests take over your home. Fight back with proven, effective pest control solutions from Coastal Lawn and Pest. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation indoor pest inspection. We’ll send one of our licensed pest control specialists over to evaluate your home and recommend a safe, effective course of action.